Tuesday, July 03, 2012

So much attitude... such a tiny little word!

Well last week was a major one in terms of speech development for Gracie.  Sure, she learned to pronounce the ends of words she's been saying for months (book instead of bit, Nancy instead Nana, dog instead of dod, etc.) but that isn't the development I'm talking about!  Gracie learned to say "no."  It was quite innocent at first... the dog was barking, and I said "No, Charlie, don't bark."  Gracie followed it up with, "no nooo, no noooo."  I thought it was adorable!  She even shook her head and pointed her finger at the dog and everything!  When dad came home from work, I had to show her off, so I said "Gracie, what do we say to Charlie when she barks?"  And sure enough, "no nooo, no nooo."  We both giggled and ooed and awed.  It was so cute!

Fast forward three days, and Gracie has learned that "no" isn't just for the dog.  It's also for when mom says "come here please" or dad says "time to pick up your toys, Gracie."  Except it's not a cute little "no nooo" anymore!  It's "NOOOOOOOO!!!"  Well, I have to admit... I don't like it one little bit!  Our little obedient child is learning how to express herself, and to make sure we know when she doesn't want to do something! Sure, it's healthy for them to be independent and all that crap... but "no" is my new least favourite word!  I think dad hates it even more.  Heh, heh, heh.  Wait another few months when the terrible twos begin!  I have a feeling we're going to be hearing a lot more of that two-letter word!  We've already had to establish a time-out area, and I have a feeling that, if this girl is anything like me, she'll be spending a bit of time in the time-out spot, thinking about her attitude! :)  

In the meantime, we'll just try to stay focused on all the good new words and sounds she says every day! Because there are many, and it's quite exciting to hear! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment