Sunday, July 29, 2012

Week One.. and we survived it!

Well it's officially Week 2.  And we're all still alive and, best of all, still smiling!  After a rough start (see last post), the week has been pretty calm and quiet.  We arrived home from the hospital on Sunday afternoon and began settling back into our normal routines.  Ella fits right in!

Gracie is absolutely in love with her sister!  She's 1 1/2 years old right now, and for those who don't know what that looks like, it's a constant swirl of movement and sound!  Gracie is constantly moving and talking.  She never stops.  Except to sleep.  Nap time is heaven!  So Gracie will be twirling, running, dancing, hopping, or sashaying around the living room and all of a sudden remember she has a baby sister in the house.  She runs over to wherever Ella may be, leans in and gives her a hug and a kiss and says "awww."  Or sometimes she'll come over, pet the top of Ella's head and say "there."  Whenever we're leaving a room or going somewhere out of the house Gracie will ask "Ella?" "Ella?" over and over until we assure her that Ella is coming too.  She even tries to help carry the car seat.  When Ella is in the car seat, Gracie will rock it and say "sing," and if nobody listens to her, she'll sing herself!  "Baaaay-beeee, baaaay-beeee."  Gracie is a fantastic big sister!

We've been out to dinner twice (really, who has time to cook?!) and Ella slept through both meals.  We even ventured out to church this morning.  Again, Ella slept through it!  She is really easy-going and a good baby, much like Gracie.  However, all of you will be happy to know that she does not sleep through the night like Gracie did.  We were really lucky with Gracie, and apparently nobody likes to see that happen twice! :)  Ella goes down for the night between 11 and 11:30, and sleeps until around 3 am.  Sometimes she goes right back to sleep and sleeps until 6 or 7, but more often than not, it takes me a good hour to get her back to bed.  Really, it's an hour of me going to bed, getting back up, going back to bed, getting back up.  I think it's important to put her back in bed, instead of playing or talking to her for that hour... even if it means I get up and down 15 times.  Although, I have to say... the almost falling asleep and then being woken back up is exhausting!  It would probably be easier if I just stayed awake and waited for her to be fully asleep.  But it's 3 am... and I'm tired! :)

We had Ella's first doctor's appointment on Friday, the "well baby" visit.  When she left the hospital last Monday, she had dropped her weight from 7lbs 11oz, to 7lbs 5oz.  On Friday she had gained all her weight back, and more.  Our little girl weighed 8lbs 1oz.  That was fantastic news to me, and I did a little celebration dance right there in the waiting room, because that means we can now demand feed.  I'm not a huge fan of waking sleeping babies... it seems counter-productive and sometimes downright silly to me.  I have never woken up either of my girls during the night, but I do wake them up during the day to make sure they get all their feeds.  Now that she's over her birth weight, we demand feed.  Which means I don't wake Ella up at all anymore... when she's hungry, she'll wake up and tell me!  It's fantastic to be able to stop watching the clock and calculate the day in 3 and 4 hour intervals!

Later this week, we'll be leaving for Newfoundland... a two-day drive each way.  I've been feeling much better since my little adventure after Ella was born, and I'm hoping to be able to keep the energy up for the trip.  There's nothing worse than being on "vacation" and feeling like crap.  And I still find that after doing too much during the day, I pay for it in the evening and into the next day.  When they said do nothing and rest, I think they meant it!  Thank goodness my girls are easy, and my hubby looks after me!  Stay tuned for our next adventure... the Newfoundland trip! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment