Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A letter to Baby...

Dear Baby Girl:

I consider myself a pretty patient person... I run a Sunday School program with 80+ students (which also often means 160 parental opinions), I grew up as the youngest child (although I'm pretty sure now that I'm the favourite! hehe), and I work for lawyers - some of the most arrogant and egotistical people on the planet (not my bosses though, of course!!).  But I have to tell you, little girl, that my patience for your arrival has just about run out!!  You were supposed to get here a week ago!  And yet, you stay where you are!  Despite gentle coaxing, talking, singing, praying, and despite mommy's near-mental-breakdowns... you refuse to come out!

I get it... you've got a nice mixture of Ford and Fillmore in your blood.  I know how stubborn those bloodlines can be.  But REALLY?!?  Starting this early?  I also get that you probably want to grow up just like your big sister... and since she was late, you should be too!  Or maybe it's an early jealousy thing, and you want to hang on just one day longer than she did!

I've loved being pregnant with you.  You were easy on me... no sickness, no aches, no pains, no swelling (despite the 30+ degree weather the last week).  I've loved feeling you move around... and you getting all excited when Gracie comes up and talks into my belly button.  I've loved the hiccups, and even the kicks and jabs.  But enough is enough now... it's time to come and meet everybody!  Gracie is starting to think we're lying to her, since we've been saying for almost 3 weeks now "we're bringing your baby sister home soon."  I think now she just rolls her eyes and thinks "sure mommy, sure daddy, I've heard that one before!"

Each week when I go to the doctor, he says "any signs of labour?"  And I have to say, "no, none at all."  And he kind of laughs.  Not even he expected you to stay put so long.  "It's not that common to have to induce with second babies.  They usually come on their own."  And yet, we have appointments for this week to start the process of going in and getting you out ourselves!

The last few days I've been trying lots of the old wives' tales to get you moving.  I cannot bring myself to drink castor oil, but we've tried a lot!  We've spent a lot of time walking the mall, one end to the other, over and over again.  I don't know what else to do to encourage you!

I promise that we will protect you, and love you... we just need to meet you first!  There's no reason to be scared.  It's quite awesome out here in the real world.  You'll have more room to stretch and move, and there are all sorts of things to play with and entertain you!  You have a big sister who is very excited to meet you, a daddy who will love to snuggle and hug you, and a mommy who has more to offer than just a room in her belly!!

I'll make you a deal... if you arrive on your own soon, I'll stop poking at my belly and screaming "get out!"  I'll stop yelling expletives at my crotch in complete and utter frustration.  I'll even completely forget  how your first impression on this world has been total stubbornness (like your daddy).  I'll just be wholly and utterly in love with you!

See you soon my lovely little girl!
Love,
Mommy
xox


No comments:

Post a Comment