Wednesday, July 11, 2012

So this is the end... right?

Well, this is it... 40 weeks!  Today marks the end of my pregnancy.  At least, according to all those books and magazines and websites.  I'm 40 weeks now, 10 months, it's time to be finished!  Except that somebody forgot to mention it to this baby of mine!  Gracie didn't get the memo either.  She was due on the 11th as well (of January, mind you), and didn't make her entrance until the 22nd.  So there is a good possibility that Baby Ford #2 will decide to hibernate until then as well.  At least I know that it absolutely wont be any later than that!

I'm usually pretty laid back about things.  And since I feel so great when I'm pregnant, I really couldn't care when she decides to come.  I'm loving it... except for the looming deadline ahead of us.  We're supposed to be in Newfoundland on the 4th of August.  That's 3 weeks from Saturday.  It takes two days to drive there, and requires two different ferry rides.  So the longer Baby decides to wait, the closer we get to that date.  I'm not worried about the baby making the trip... Baby will sleep.  Baby will be fine.  Momma, however, will probably cry.  A lot.  If history repeats itself, I'm kind of an emotional wreck after having a baby.  I expect that most mothers are, but since no one else has really admitted that to me, I'll say it's just me! :)  And travelling 2 weeks post-partum is not on my list of "fun things to do this summer."  

After Gracie, I had unbelievable issues breastfeeding... not fun to sort out or deal with in a car, I can assure you!  In fact, 3 months after having Gracie, the nurses and lactation consultant were all asking me why I was still sticking with it (that's right, 3 months later, still having issues!).  I told them it was because I was naive enough to believe them when they kept saying to me "in 2 weeks, you wont even remember this, everything will be going so smoothly."  2 weeks turned into 4 weeks, turned into 8 weeks, turned into 12 weeks.  It was insane!  And struggling with breastfeeding, the "most natural thing in the world" makes me one hell of a blubber baby! :)  However, this will not happen this time... I have been assured, and I am naive enough, again, to believe everybody!  

On top of the regular breastfeeding issues, I also developed a wicked thrush infection - which took 8 weeks, 3 different prescriptions, 2 OTC natural remedies, and finally some weird herbs I ordered off the internet to get rid of - and a uterine infection, which landed me in the Emergency Room for 6+ hours hooked up to an antibiotic drip.

So... needless to say, although this pregnancy has been fantastic, I am quite nervous about the after-pregnancy stuff, and more particular, about being away from the comfort of my home.  But the vacation is actually for Danny's dad's wedding, and we need to be there... and I want to be there!  Danny and I have already discussed some alternatives... including him going alone with just Gracie.  But it's not just us who have been waiting so long to meet this little girl, so we're doing everything we can to make sure I can go to too!

Here's hoping that Baby Ford #2 gets the hint and starts the process all on her own in the next couple of days.  Otherwise, she will be receiving a formal notice to evict, and we'll go in and get her out ourselves!  :)  The sooner she comes, the more time I have to adjust and re-balance (hormonally) myself before our big trip to Fogo Island.

Whenever she decides to come though, I know everybody is dying to meet her, and I'm sure I'll be met with more support than I could ever expect.. and maybe a box of tissue, or two! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment