Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Babysitter Adventures...

Danny and I went out the other night on an actual date night.  Like a real one!  Usually date nights either include the girls, involve a family member staying at our house while we're out, or a babysitter comes over after we've already done all the work and the girls are in bed (which is fantastic way to waste $30! lol).  This time, the babysitter came over at 4:30, and was in charge of supper, bathtime, and bedtime.

We haven't been able to go out for a while because our old babysitter was posted and we hadn't found someone to replace her yet.  I don't have any problem leaving the girls with someone I trust, but it's hard to find someone responsible, and comfortable, enough to handle an infant.  When we were asked on this triple-date, I didn't know what I was going to do about a babysitter... and then I remembered our day-sitter's daughter.  She's in her second year of university and (bonus!) the girls already know and love her.  Sure enough she was available, and we got to start dreaming about our night out!

When the night came, Caitlin arrived at 4:30.  It was her first time at the house, so I had to give her the tour, and Gracie wanted to show her her own room.  I ran through the usual... dinner is here, bedtime is when, emergency numbers are what... and then said we were leaving.  But of course we didn't leave yet.  Nope, I did what every parent I ever babysit for did to me.  The list of tips and tricks. "Gracie may do this." "If she asks for this, do this."  "Sometimes we do this."  After I left, I remembered being a teenager and thinking to myself, "Just go already so I can play with your kids.  We will figure it out!"  I remember that none of the tips and tricks were actually that helpful, and I couldn't remember past the first one anyway!  I'm sure Caitlin felt the same way, since she very politely said, "okay" after every tip I gave her and gave me "that" smile.

We headed to our friends' house to catch a ride with them.  Inside, they were giving their babysitter the exact same spiel I had just been through.  I realized at that moment that I am probably doomed to annoy all future babysitters for the remainder of my children's childhoods!  But hey, I bought cheesies for her, so maybe that'll help! :)

We were off to Kellocks for supper (one of my favs!) but unfortunately I had been dealing with a stomach bug for a few days and was only able to eat a few bites of my pasta before deciding it was better to just pack it up to take home.  After supper we headed to the movies to see Identity Thief.  It was pretty entertaining!  I called home to check on Caitlin once, just to make sure Ella got down to bed okay.  I don't think I'll need to check on her at all during future outings, she was 100% comfortable with the girls.

We were home by 10:00 (my favourite time of the night... bedtime!), and I pretty much crashed right away.  My first week back to work, combined with stomach bug recovery made me one sleepy mama.  But it was so nice to get out!  Danny leaves for his PLQ course in 2 weeks, and I've already told Caitlin I'll be calling for her again.  I figure getting out of the house while Danny is away is probably a great way to save my sanity!  I'll probably even do something real crazy... like go to the bookstore, or maybe a frenchy's run... and maybe I'll get a tea while I'm at it!! Oh, the adventures I can have now that I have a fantastic sitter again!! :)

1 comment:

  1. Yay for you :) Date nights are fabulous to just get out and be grown ups. Definitely deserved super momma!

    ReplyDelete