Saturday, February 09, 2013

30 Day Shred - The Beginning

I decided to do Jillian Michaels' 30-Day Shred.  Mostly because I've been complaining for months (*ahem* years) about how out of shape I am.  I've been blessed with a little frame, but that does not mean that I am in shape, or even that I'm the shape I want to be.  

There's this misconception that because I am "small," I should be perfectly happy with my body.  It doesn't exactly work like that... although I am quite satisfied with my body (especially considering I've had 2 kids in less than 2 years) there are things that I would like to improve.  And that's my prerogative!  I find it incredibly frustrating when talking with people about working out, body shapes, and the things that we would like to improve about ourselves, and they say to me "you have no right to complain because you're already tiny."  I'm sorry, but I have just as much right to want to improve myself as the next person.   I know lots of people bigger than me who are happy with themselves, and lots of people smaller than me who are miserable with their shapes.  Does that mean that if you're big you should want to change, and if you're small you should keep your mouth shut?  I don't think so!  We all have the right to be comfortable with ourselves!  And if that means that I want my baby pooch to disappear, and I'm willing to work for it, I shouldn't have to endure people rolling their eyes at me and telling me how lucky I am to be so small.  What happened to support, people?  Stop all this "well, I'm bigger than you" competition and let's just support each other's quests for happiness... okay??

Okay... so basically the Shred consists of 30 days of daily workouts, 20 minutes each.  You do Level 1 for 10 days, Level 2 for 10 days, and Level 3 for 10 days.  I've decided to keep track of how I feel after each day, in case you're looking to try the Shred, or any other workout program for that matter.  Call it motivation (or determent, whatever!)!  I took my measurements at the beginning, so we can see how they change at the end of the 30 days!

Day 1

So I just finished the first day of level 1.  I would like to say, I hate Jillian Michaels.  She talked through the whole video and I just wanted her to shut the hell up.  Also, she kept telling me "You can do this.  Keep going!" and all I could think was "why don't you get your ass on the floor and do it too, then?  Don't just stand there!"  Anyway... I'm totally out of shape.  This last 20 minutes confirmed that for me.  My hands are shaking and I'm out of breath.  But I survived it! :)

Day 2

Okay, day 2 is complete.  I woke up this morning feeling like I slept with my arms tied behind my back.  My armpits and boob muscles hurt so bad.  Yesterday I could only do like 3 horrible pushups... and I could feel those 3 horrible pushups when I tried to wash my hair, when I picked up grocery bags, and all night long.  This morning I felt horrible too... in an "owey" kind of way.  But guess what? I did 7 push ups today, and the first 5 weren't so horrible!  I'm shocked at the difference between day 1 and day 2.  Sure, I'm still out of breath and my heart is thumping... but it's like I actually woke my body up and said "No, seriously.  We're doing this.  Pull it together."  Bring it on Jillian!

Day 3

I had to do this workout after the girls went to bed tonight, instead of the morning like I've done the last two days.  And since I went through most of the day with my boob and arm muscles barely screaming at me, I decided to add the weights.  That's right, I was doing the strength training solely with the weight of my own arms!  I hated the weights.  It made me want to cry.  It made me sweat like a pig and it was gross.  I reaffirm my Facebook status from yesterday... I would rather eat chicken wings and bacon than work out.  I am obviously not one of those people that feel fantastic after a good workout.  I feel satisfied... in a "yay, you actually did it, you lazy ass" kind of way. And I feel like chicken wings... as a reward for my workout.  Being healthy sucks.

Day 4

I'm super cranky and I hate it.  I don't wanna do this anymore.  I quit half-way through tonight.  Blech.

Day 5

It's Superbowl Sunday.  So I took a much needed break.  I also indulged in chicken wings and fried pepperoni.  Jillian would be so proud! :)

Day 6

Back at it... felt kinda good, but Lord liftin' am I tired!!!  It took everything in me to convince myself to work out.  I just wanted to sleep.  This working out at night thing isn't really working out for me, but since I head back to work in 2 weeks, I better get used to it!

Day 7

I skipped it again... shhhhhhh!

Day 8

Okay, so today actually felt good.  But don't tell Jillian that, because I'm pretty sure I vowed to hate her for all eternity!  I actually did 2 full sets of pushups without having to stop.  The cardio doesn't make me cry anymore, and the abs... well they still kill me, but that's a good thing I suppose! :)


Day 9

Yup, felt okay again.  I feel like I can actually keep up, and I'm starting to *gasp* enjoy it.  Okay, that's stretching it a bit... but I'm not nearly as bitchy about having to do it! :)

Day 10

This is it... the end of the Level 1.  I think this whole 3 level thing is a set-up.  I can do the 30 minutes now without cursing or swearing or wanting to murder Gillian... and tomorrow I have to start all over with something new, and I presume, more difficult.  Let the cursing resume! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment