Monday, April 30, 2012

Mr. Fatty Fatterson


I have a cat named Elvis... he is beautiful and we love him.  But he has a weight issue.  He actually doesn't eat that much, so I think it's actually a thyroid issue.  Do cats have thyroids?

Anyway, this is Elvis...



Isn't he pretty?  I call him Fatty Fatterson... but I call him that with all the love and affection in the world.  He is a very loveable cat!  Except he's loveable the way most cats are... on his own terms.  For instance... if you were to try to pet the top of his head, he would probably scrunch down on the floor as far as possible before fleeing the room.  Unless you're Gracie, in which case, bring it on.

He loves Gracie!  He loves her so much that Gracie has had to yell at him a few times.  Elvis loves to lay down where Gracie is playing, and as soon as she tries to move, he gets up, runs in front of where she's trying to walk and lays back down.  Gracie tries to go around him, but he keeps running in front of her and laying down directly in her path.  There have been a few times when Gracie just looks at him and goes "aaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!" I can't blame her really, she can't outrun the cat yet!  But for the most part, it's a love-love relationship.  When Gracie sees him she always runs right up, lays on top of him (she thinks it's a hug) and goes "awwwwwa."
Hugs and Snuggles for Elvis



Elvis doesn't realize he has a weight issue... he will crawl on top of things half his size and expect to lay there comfortably for hours.  He has jumped onto the back of a chair once, only to have the thing go spinning in circles and almost throw him off (don't worry, he hung on tight).  His most common feat is to try to jump onto the window ledge in our bedroom, only to bounce off the window and land back on the bed.  And one night, a couple years ago, while we were eating dinner we heard a very pathetic "mew" coming from the living room.  We went into the living room to find our cat had somehow managed to to get himself onto the curtain rod at the top of our big bay window.  Lord knows he got up there, but we knew if we didn't get him down ourselves, and quick, he would bring the whole thing down with him.  As it was, the anchors had ripped out of the wall and the rod was teetering precariously towards the floor.   I don't know what in the world made him think that was a good idea, but he has never tried it since!

Elvis and Gracie - just chillin!

Gracie made Elvis a new hat!
Elvis likes to lay on anything new.  We can drop a dirty pair of underwear on the way to the laundry and he will claim it is as his fantastic new sleeping area for the next few hours.  You name it, boxes, clothes, toys, blankets, bags, if it hasn't been on the floor before, and it is now, then Elvis will sleep on it!   Lately, since being pregnant, Elvis has taken a liking to my belly.  I don't know if it's the movement, or the fact that it's "new" too, but I will wake up in the middle of the night with this enormous pressure on my chest/belly and hear "prrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, prrrrrrrrrrrrrr, prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr."   If I try to roll over to get him off me, Elvis pretends he's straddling a barrel, and just like on Wipeout, takes up position on my back without ever having stepped off my body.  I don't know if you know, but having a baby sleep on your lungs makes it difficult to breathe.  Add an Elvis on top of that... oye!  And every morning when I get up Elvis is ready for me.  He races me out the bedroom door and into the kitchen, where I always go first to turn on the light, then I turn around and head to the bathroom, and this cat (who normally wouldn't move out of the way for anybody or anything) is thump, thump, thumping his way ahead of me into the bathroom.  No matter how fast I try to make it there, or how quickly I try to close the door, I always end up with company getting ready for work.

We love Elvis, he is a great source of entertainment for us adults, and a lovely companion for Gracie.  As I write this, he is laying on the couch above my head, purring away!

Here's a video for you... if you have ever owned a cat, you will truly appreciate the hilarity in this video! Make sure you turn the volume up... and enjoy! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment