Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I'm growing a little person, so don't make me eat you...

I'm not getting fat, I'm growing a little person.  While I was pregnant with Gracie, I had to remind myself of this sometimes.  It's hard to watch the scale go up, and up, and up, and not freak out a little.  You're always a little obsessed about the amount of weight you put on... because of course, what goes up must come down.  And the higher you go up, the harder you have to work to get it to come back down.  Let me apologize in advance to my other mommy's-to-be (namely, Allison), because I know talking about cravings, and food in general, only makes other pregnant women then want that food too! :)

I have always said that pregnancy is not an excuse to eat for two.  You're only "allowed" an extra 300 calories a day... that's equivalent to something like a banana and a small bowl of yogurt.  Yummmm.... so it's not exactly the splurge most people envision.  I really do try hard to just eat normally when I'm pregnant.  I add a little extra fibre, a little more veggies, but that's about it.  Cravings weren't an issue with Gracie.  Not really, anyway.  A few things here and there.  But there are times when eating for two is necessary... like when I freaking want to!!!  

This baby, I have discovered, is sucking the life energy from me.  And the only way to feel better sometimes is with food.  I'm exhuasted... so even though I spent the last 30 minutes making delicious (and healthy) quinoa burgers, mustard baked chicken, sweet potato fries, broiled fish, or cauliflower pancakes, what I really want is french fries.  I'm too tired to pretend to enjoy that healthy crap this time around.  So feed me my french fries gosh darn it!  I'm growing a little person after all!!

After my doctor's appointment this week, the doctor has decided to put me back on iron supplements.  I'm slightly anemic.  I'm not surprised.  I don't really eat meat when I'm pregnant.  Unless it's a big, fat, juicy steak, or unless it used to be attached to a chicken's armpit and is now fried and dipped in buffalo sauce!  So the fact that I have now been officially diagnosed anemic again just means more steak and chicken wings for me.  Well, the chicken wings might not help, but don't tell my baby that, she wants them! :)

Growing a little person is hard!  Over the past few months, I've helped this little baby grow ears, eyes, arms, legs, hair (pretty please), heart, brain, and probably a giant attitude too. I've been lugging around an extra 2 pounds, then 5, then 10, then 15, then 20.  And with 11 weeks to go, that number is just going to go up.  Carrying around that extra weight is more than enough of an excuse, every now and then, to splurge on what you really want.  So, if I want to eat my 5th can of Pringles this week, or an entire bag of Doritos, I'm gonna!!!  It's true, I will feel guilty about it.  And probably cry because I gave in... because I'm weaker this baby.  My emotions are all over the place, work is driving me crazy, the house is nowhere near ready yet (stay tuned for those posts, yeesh!), and I may kill someone, just because I can. 

So go ahead and call me the crazy pregnant lady.  Lecture me about how I don't really need all those extra snacks... how it's all in my head.  Send me articles about healthy eating while pregnant.  But get the hell out of my way, because I'm growing a little person... and I'm heading for the snack cupboard.  And, so help me, if you get in my way, I may chew off your arm - after dipping it in buffalo sauce first, of course.


No comments:

Post a Comment