Friday, May 25, 2012

Stellar Mommy Moments abound!!

I have noticed that the reader count on this blog goes way up when "stellar mommy moment" is mentioned in the title... like you're all just sitting around, waiting for me to screw up again!!  You people are sick! :)  

But seriously though... there is something about reading about other people's misfortunes (especially when they have a sense of humour about it) that makes us feel better about ourselves.  Or maybe it makes us feel like we may be normal after all, and all this terribly embarrassing, potentially child endangering, sometimes puke-worthy, behaviour doesn't just happen to us!  It's happening all around, you just have to talk to the right people... the ones who are willing to admit they're human, not super-human parents! 

Unfortunate things happen quite often in this house... usually they involve Gracie falling on her face, or nearly eating something that should be nowhere near a mouth, or walking into things that aren't put away where they belong.  It seems the last couple of weeks I've had my share of "moments," although none of them have been nearly fatal, and most I was able to pass off as Gracie being clumsy.  Like when I accidently stuck my foot out just as Gracie was walking in front of me, and she ended up falling over it and hitting her head on the side of the couch... I just said, "whoops, Gracie did you fall down?"  And she said, "yeah."  See, she had no idea that was my fault! :)  And the other morning, I asked her if she wanted some cheese, and she got really excited and started running into the kitchen.  At the same time, I opened the fridge door, and she ran smack into it, face-first, and fell backwards onto her butt.  That was totally, 100% my fault.  But I just said, "whoops, Gracie did you fall down again?"  And she said, "yeah."  There have been a few times where I've hurt her enough to make her cry (I stepped on her foot once) and I feel really bad, and I get on the floor and hug her until she feels okay.  Then I say, "oh little girl, mommy's really sorry!"  And Gracie, being the well-trained 1 1/2 year old that she is, thinks I'm asking her to apologize, and says "so-see" and gives me a kiss - her usual apology routine.  So even when I try to blame myself and make up for it, she takes responsibility anyway!  Oh well, better she does that more often than not enough! :)  This is a lovely age... where I can do things to injure my child (not intentionally, obviously!) and she doesn't understand that it wasn't her own fault she fell down.  That last sentence right there... that makes me a stellar mom! :)  Obviously, I feel guilty on the inside... and I know eventually she's going to catch on that she's not that clumsy, that her mother has something to do with it too!  :)

Speaking of stellar mommy moments... I had a realization last week that I have a "moment" at least every other day or so, but I have yet to see a stellar daddy moment.  So either he's keeping them a secret from me, or he's much better at this parenting thing than I am!  I have to be more observant in the future... I want to catch him in a moment!!  Maybe it'll make me feel more normal and less guilty about all the minor head injuries I seem to be causing my little girl! :)  In the meantime though, all of you who are waiting for the next moment to appear in my blogs, just keep reading... I'm sure they wont be far between!  I hope they make you all feel a little better about your own moments, and help you realize that being a perfect parent isn't possible... and I hope you are enjoying them... not making a list to send to Family and Children's Services! :)   

No comments:

Post a Comment