Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Knocked Up... Round #3!

Throughout the last four years, I have been pregnant a lot.  This is my third pregnancy since April 2010, which means I have spent roughly 29 out of the last 48 months being knocked up.  On purpose, too!

I have had what most people refer to as "dream pregnancies."  I get knocked up if Danny looks at me the right way, and then spend the next 10 months feeling fantastic, with not so much as a swollen ankle or a hint of morning sickness.  Apparently though, after 3 pregnancies in 4 years, my body has basically said "F-you!"

Although this pregnancy has still been relatively easy, with a lack of the extreme morning sickness that I've witnessed from others, it is definitely taking a tole on my poor little body.  I've had headaches with each baby.  With Gracie, I would get a horrible, debilitating, hour-long headache once a day for about 2 weeks.  With Ella, I got day-long headaches for about 2 weeks.  This baby brought me the joy of day-long headaches once again.  Except this time, they lasted more than 7 weeks, and needed to be controlled with Tylenol 3s and gravol.

With Gracie, I went to the gym regularly, and even participated in a Zumba class until I was 38 weeks pregnant.  With Ella, I skipped Zumba, but still went to the gym fairly regularly.  With this baby, I have been to the gym maybe 5 times.  For less than half an hour each time.  I blamed the headaches initially, but the truth of the matter is, I'm now more than half-way done and it's cold outside, and I just don't wanna go.  I'm working on that though, now going twice a week... although I have skipped the last two weeks, so really, it's still only 5 times!

I didn't have an ache or a pain with either Gracie or Ella.  I went for a massage at around 36 weeks in my first pregnancy, and when the therapist asked me where it hurt, I laughed.  It didn't hurt!  I felt great!  This pregnancy, I have had the pleasure of experiencing SPD, or symphysis pubis dysfunction, for those of you who would like to google it.  Basically, I've done something not good to the ligaments and joints in my pelvis, and the bones are now rubbing against each other, causing extreme pain and discomfort, pretty much all day long.  Sleeping is the worst, and the pain often keeps me up, or at least from falling back asleep once I do wake up.  Also, when I get up in the morning, I crack.  I'm not exactly sure from where... but it hurts like a son of a bitch, and sounds disgusting too.  Going up and down stairs, getting in and out of the car, and getting up from a seat are the things that cause me the most pain.  So, you know, basically everything I do all day at work.  Apparently the hormone my body produces to make delivery easier is the culprit behind this happening, and from what I understand the treatment for me at this time is to "take a couple extra-strength Tylenol and put a hot water bottle on it."  I have hope though, because I'm sure the bigger and heavier I get, the less pressure I will put on my pelvis, thus making me feel better.  Right?!?

Sleeping, or lack thereof, has been the main issue this pregnancy, and probably the primary reason why my body is saying "F-you" so frequently.  Without proper sleep and rest, my body does not have the energy to do normal, everyday things.  Like parent two kids without being the crabbiest mom in the whole wide world.  Or stay awake past my three-year-old's bedtime.  Or speak to another adult in full, complete sentences.  Or prepare a meal for the family that involves more than french fries and chicken nuggets.  I've been blessed with an inability to remain asleep during the night, or to fall asleep past midnight.  If I'm asleep before the clock turns 12, then it just means a night of restlesness and tossing and turning, and waking up half a dozen times.  If I'm awake after midnight, then it means I'm awake.  All night.  Thank God for Pinterest and Netflix, that's all I have to say about that!

My family has been generally supportive of the hard time I've been having, with Danny doing basically all the housework (that's why he's still alive, despite the snoring!), and Gracie and Ella take turns rubbing the belly.  Gracie notices when I'm stiff and sore and asks if her baby brother is kicking me again, and she has brought me a number of stuffies and blankets when I'm relaxing on the couch.  Oh, to be three years old and have a stuffed animal take care of all of your problems! :)

People often say to me "Oh your third child, are you done now that you're having a boy?"  Oh yes, "we" are done being pregnant!  We would have been done regardless of whether it was a boy or girl! I loved my first two pregnancies, and although this one has been a lot more difficult for me, I'm still enjoying this one as well.  My body... well, not so much.  I'm pretty sure if I put myself through this one more time, my body would never forgive me.  So three it is... and our perfect little family will be complete!  Now, please excuse me while I go swallow some Tylenol and find a hot water bottle to put on my crotch!  Pregnancy is so glamorous! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment