Monday, August 20, 2012

Back home, and getting back to normal...

Well it's been a couple of weeks since the last time I wrote anything... I guess being away has really thrown us all off our schedules!  Life after a new baby is always crazy, but throw in a 36-hour, 1700 km trip (each way!), and two weeks "vacation," and you realize that crazy doesn't even begin to describe it!

The trip itself was pretty good.  Danny's dad got married, and we got to see all kinds of family that we haven't seen since our own wedding 3 years ago!  Gracie loved the island, and got to experience all sorts of true "Newfoundland" things.  She had moose stew, turr (basically a seagull, if you ask me!), went cod fishing, and got to see a caribou!  And she loved almost every minute of it.  She wasn't quite herself for a few days, not only after travelling without sleep for two days, but after 100 loveable Newfies tried to pick her up, kiss her, hug her, and talk to her.  Gracie is a very outgoing little girl, except when she first meets someone.  She takes time to warm up to new people, and she was NOT impressed with all of the strangers.  By the end of the vacation, though, she was much better!

Now we're home and settling back into our routine.  Gracie is back to her normal self, mom is all caught up on her sleep, Ella is still pooping, eating, and sleeping, and dad is back to work.  It almost seems like we're starting our life as a family of 4 from scratch now.  This is the first that we've been alone, and Ella is a month old!  It's craaaazy!  

Ella is a fantastic baby.  She cries less than Gracie did, which seems impossible since Gracie rarely cried!  She doesn't sleep quite as well as Gracie, she does get up once through the night to eat (shocker, I know!), but all-in-all, I can't complain!  She has the same belly issues that Gracie had at night time, between 8 and 9. I call it "witching hour."  But since she's already a month old, she should be outgrowing that soon too!  Now if we can just get this sleep thing mastered, I will be living the perfect life!

I've officially started my role as stay-at-home-mom.  Before now, we've been on vacation.  Now that Danny is back to work, and it's just me and the girlies, I can officially adopt that title.  So far, I'm doing amazing (if I can say so).  On Friday, we baked a cake and iced it (from scratch!!), I have my menu for the week planned, the grocery shopping is done, and the house is still clean (even after being home for a full week).  I don't know how long that will last, check back next week! :)

Yesterday I took the girls to church, just me and them.  Ella slept through most of it, and Gracie has been going since she was 4 weeks old, so it was the same old business for her.  I was a little afraid to go myself, with two little girls, but it went so smoothly!  I've been going to the church since I moved here when I was 6, and I have been sitting in the exact same seat since that time too... second pew from the front!  Earlier this year they replaced the pews with chairs, and I felt a little sad... like I should be able to take my pew home with me!  After 20 years, I'm sure the pew was perfectly molded to my bottom!

Ella is growing so big!  We go for her one-month checkup on Thursday (and Gracie's 18-month needles, eeek!) and I'm excited to see how much she weighs!  She is a very strong little girl, and tries to hold her head up all the time.  She is also very smiley!  Every time Danny speaks to her, she breaks into the biggest grins, and I can usually get them out of her too!  It's so nice to have a second happy baby!  She's starting to coo too, and nothing is better than those first little sounds!  I've been looking back at Gracie's baby pictures so I can remember what milestones come when, and I'm so excited to watch Ella grow up.  I'm not one of those mothers that want her kids to stay little forever... I love watching all the new things they can do, I love watching them grow and develop.  I love them getting big, because for every milestone and new thing they learn, it means we've done something right! :)

Well... this blog was allll over the place!  I guess that's what happens when someone who talks all the time is quiet for 2 weeks!  Time to get my thoughts back on track, and get this writing under control! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment