Friday, June 03, 2016

That time that Gracie grew up...

Last Friday was Primary Orientation at Kingston School, where Gracie will be going in September.  That means that she spent the day at "big girl school," where she did gym class, music class, play at recess, eat lunch, and ride the school bus.  She was so excited that morning, she talked and bounced off of every single wall in our house.  It was adorable!
 
Gracie turned 5 in January, just 3 short weeks after the primary cut-off.  Really, she was ready for school this year, but because of her birthday, got to spend the extra time with me.  It means she'll be one of the oldest in her class, which I guess gives her a little bit of an advantage.  I was totally prepared for her to go to school last Friday morning, and I'm definitely ready for her to go in September.  Still... when did she grow up??
 
I posted this picture of her last Friday, standing against the wall with the school motto, and someone commented, "When did she get so big?"

 
 
Gracie has always been an old soul.  She's been smart since the day she was born.  She talked really early, and grasped concepts and ideas way before I thought she would be able to understand them.  She is wise beyond her years, so she has always seemed like a little grown-up.  I guess that's why I'm not sad to see her go off to school.  She is ready, 100%.  So I didn't cry getting her ready for school last week... I did a happy dance!
 
My goal is to raise independent children, ready to face the world as functional members of society when they finally leave my home.  I love every moment of independence they gain, including "leaving the nest" for school. 

That morning, she was so excited, but as soon as we got into the line to pick up her nametag, she froze.  Those that have known Gracie for a while, know that she struggles with social anxiety.  Where Ella and Jax love to talk to strangers, and will run up to anyone on the playground and ask them to play, Gracie has always been very reserved.  She hangs her head, and turns her face when someone tries to talk to her.  With the exception of dropping her off at daycare, she always clings a little longer to my hand when I try to get her to leave me.  Growing up with her, we had to prepare her for social activities such as going to the doctor.  We would practice scenarios, role play what a doctor might say to her, and how she should answer.  We would practice for a few days before, and over time, we could stop practicing... a little chat just before a social situation gave her the confidence she needed to face it.  That morning, when she froze in line when the principal asked her her name, I pulled her aside, and we had a quick little chat to remind her that new things could be scary, but that she was totally ready for this!  And she perked back up!  Gracie has come so far with her social skills, and I am proud to say that when I walked out of the classroom and left her behind, I waited by the door in case she needed one more "thumbs up" or blown kisses.  She didn't even look back.  She was in her element.  And it was awesome!  I skipped my happy self right out to the car. 

When I came to pick her up after lunch, she waved at me from across the classroom, gave me a big smile, and said "Mom, I have so much to tell you about today.  It was awesome!!!"

She asks every day when school starts.  She tells me everything she's going to learn, and how if I ever miss her while she's gone, that I can imagine her standing with me, and that'll make me less sad.  She said she'll do the same thing if she feels lonely.  I guess that's it... she's all grown up.  And I couldn't be happier for her!  Except she said to her grampy, "I had a great day, and I didn't even kiss any boys." Wait, what?  Is that something I should be worried about in September... maybe I'm not ready for this after al!! 

Little Miss Gracie, all ready for school!
Little Miss Gracie.... when she was still little!

No comments:

Post a Comment