Wednesday, January 01, 2014

A New Year...

It's officially here... welcome, 2014!  A new year provides many opportunities to "start over" and lots of people take advantage of it with New Years' resolutions.  Danny and I have dubbed this our "year to get healthy" so I guess we're on the resolution bandwagon too.  Here's hoping we don't fail by February!

Our aim this year is to be healthier... not just physically, but financially, emotionally, and in our relationship.  The whole kit and caboodle.  We have a lot happening this year (have you heard, baby #3 is on the way?) and we figured it's a good time for that whole "lifestyle change" thing people are always talking about.  Before mama is out of a job for the third time in three years, before Danny does or does not get into university, before we do or do not sell and buy a new house.  It's a year full of unexpected for us, and the best way for us to be ready for that is to finally get in control of the things we can.  

Physically, we plan to eat better.  We've had that plan forever.  We don't our girls raised on french fries and potato chips, and we have fed them way more crap than we ever intended to.  And although we've been accused of brainwashing them (that's right mother, I'm calling you out!), teaching your kids that fruits are healthy is not a bad thing.  We're not going crazy and banning junk food... we just want a treat to be a treat.  A real treat.  Something they get excited over.  I remember growing up that when our parents took us to McDonalds, it was, like, the best thing that could ever happen to us.  McDonalds, nowadays, meas nothing to a lot of people because they have it so often.  We're planning on making healthy food our every day norm, with treat days being incredibly enjoyable.  Also, we're supposed to work out and get healthier that way too... I say, don't count on that one from me! :)

Financially speaking, we're going on a money diet.  No more spending money on things we don't need.  Most importantly, and this one kills me, no more money on eating out.  I am a terribly lazy excuse for a human, and although I am a fairly good cook, I hate it.  Cause I'm lazy.  No, strike that.  I'm tired.  Tired from work, tired from kids, tired from life.  And that makes me lazy.  So I very often play the "lets just eat out tonight" card and Danny lovingly obliges me.  No more!  He's under strict orders that, unless it's eat-out-night, there shall be no dinners out.  Also, our dinners out are going to count.  Real restaurants with food we enjoy.  Instead of the crap they serve at places like Pizza Delight and, well that's it, cause that's all that's here in Greenwood.  Hello Kellocks, Falcourt, Pasta Jax, and Union Street!  Get ready, cause you will be loved.  By me.  Twice a month.

Emotionally, we've decided to put the focus back on Danny and I.  Our kids are important, duh.  But we've taken our relationship for granted sometimes by putting the kids first.  Yeah, yeah... there are TONS of memes and cute little expressions telling you that you're not a real parent unless you sacrifice this, and deny yourself that, and put your kids before your own happiness.  I call bullshit.  An unhappy wife does not make for a very happy mommy.  So we've decided to make our relationship important again.  After all, our kids will be much happier if we're happy.  And to stay happy, we need to make time for each other. 

So that's it... our New Years' resolution.  It's a big resolution.  But it's been something we've been preparing ourselves for for a while.  Something that's been a long time coming.  Wish us luck!  I'm quite confident we'll have more luck than, say, whenever I attempt to quit swearing.  Oh fuck, I said bullshit earlier!  Shit, I just said fuck.  Yeah, see... that one's not possible!  Also, I heard Gracie playing with her toys today, and she yelled "dammit!" so I'm apparently not any closer to not rubbing off on her, either!  Yeeeesh!

Oh!  I also promise to write more frequently now.  I was waiting for the baby headaches to go away, but since that doesn't seem to be happening, I will suck it up.  The last three months have been incredibly tiresome for me, but here's hoping healthier living will make life easier to stay awake through!  Here's also hoping I'm wrong about the headaches, and they will magically disappear now that it's a new year.  And if they don't disappear, here's hoping I can finish the 3 other blogs I started to write over the last 8 weeks and fell asleep through.  Here's also hoping I can start remembering to capture the amazing things that my children are doing.  They are hilarious, and entertaining, and their own special kind of bad, and I need to start sharing that again before I forget it all.

Happy New Year everyone!  I wish you all a fantastic year filled with happiness and great adventures.  Well, maybe not all of you... some of you I wish the fleas of a thousand camels invade your crotch and your arms be too short to scratch.  But most of you... a happy, happy year!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment